Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

As you may or may not know, Vermont experienced its first snow of the season yesterday.  (I guess this means I finally have to retire my flip flops for the year! )  When I woke this morning, I was greeted by a bright and sunny day, though the snow still coated the ground and the tops of trees.  So, before my morning walk, I had to dig my gloves, hats, and scarves out of the back of the closet.  By the time I arrived back home, I looked like Rudolph.  I figured, what’s a better way to warm up in this chilly weather than with a toasty bowl of your favorite soup!  Split pea with ham was calling my name! 
Growing up, I can remember running around in the bitter cold with my brother.  When it was time to go inside for supper, mother often had a bowl of steaming split pea ready on the table and my family would sit down for a comforting meal together.  Man, how I miss those days!  Now that I have mother’s recipe, I can go back to the memories every time I make this satisfying soup, and now YOU can, too! 
Check out the recipe below.  Would love to hear what you think of this!  Don’t hesitate to share your own Soup Stories! 

Mom’s Split Pea with Ham Soup


Prep Time: about 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Makes about 8 servings

You will need:
1 package green split peas
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups ham chunks
2 whole carrots, peeled and diced
1 medium potato, diced
1 stalk celery, diced

Directions:
Rinse split peas well.   Remove bad peas or small pebbles that “snuck in” during processing. Put  rinsed peas in a large pot and cover with at least 2-1/2 inches of water. Turn your burner on medium- high heat.  Next, dice up at least half of your medium sized onion and add the onion to the pot. Add some salt to the water, and allow it to cook.

After they’ve cooked for at least an hour, throw in your ham chunks.

While your soup is cooking, dice up remaining vegetables and set aside. When the peas are just about how you like them, toss in the remaining veggies and continue to cook.  Mom’s soup was always thick and chunky.  She allowed it to cook on the stove for at least another hour and a half, if not two hours.


If you prefer, add salt and pepper.  I usually don’t.  It’s so tasty without extra seasoning.  Serve with buttered rolls. 

And there you have it!  Enjoy folks!  I’m enjoying a nice bowl right now!  I’ll be happy to answer any questions if you have them.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...