Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Spinach & Chicken Tortilla Bake, Plus an Update

Weather: 60°F, cloudy & windy.
What I'm listening to: the leaves of trees rustling in the wind.

Bath Time! (Ellie)
First things first. Ellie fell asleep on the potty this morning. First time she's ever done that. It was the cutest thing and even though we were in a hurry, I took a minute to laugh and be in the moment.  It's important to be in the now.

I did some grocery shopping this morning. With list in hand & lots of coupons, I set out on my usual journey of acquiring all the ingredients for all the new recipes I'm trying this week. Stay tuned, they will be revealed throughout the week.  Also, starting next week, we will be featuring lots of ghoulish grub in preparation for Halloween.  I asked Ellie what she wanted to be for Halloween this year. You know what she tells me, she says, "I want to go as you, Momma." She melts my heart.  We did finally settle on her costume for this year though. She's going as a busy bumble bee.  As for Mom, well, I'm going as a mermaid. Ellie says it would be fun having a mermaid as a mom.  

Another thing I wanted to mention to all of you: I am a HUGE fan of Etsy.  I've been a member for about 2 years & could not be happier with the items I purchase.  One of those items I purchased last week from a shop called Long Leaf Soaps.  Their Black Raspberry Vanilla Sugar Scrub Cubes are heavenly. I use one cube in the shower about twice a week and am enveloped in it's aroma as I exfoliate.  My review of this shop is that they serve up quality products at decent prices.  I am very pleased with my purchase. Check out their other items, too. 


So, back to what this blog is all about.  Do you know what I made for dinner last night? Of course you don't. I didn't tell you yet. My hubby isn't exactly keen on spinach, but when it was blanketed in between layers of chicken, cheese, salsa verde, & tortillas, he didn't complain.  Actually, he raved about it. Planning on adding this to our dinner rotation.  It was pretty easy and the flavors meld so perfectly.  

Spinach & Chicken Tortilla Bake
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 chicken cutlets (about 1 pound)
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups store-bought salsa verde
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
4 large (8″) flour tortillas
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
3 cups baby spinach (about 1/4 pound)
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450°. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the pan and cook, turning once, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Let cool, then shred the meat.
Whisk together the salsa verde and ricotta; season with salt and pepper. In a greased 9-inch square baking dish, layer one-third of the salsa mixture, tortillas, chicken, onion, spinach and pepper jack; repeat twice. Bake until golden-brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Yield:  4 servings



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...