Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Earth Day Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups


Hi everyone.  I know I up and disappeared for a while, but it’s okay because I’m back now!  Since my last post, the freezing temps and snow have finally gone with the arrival of Spring.  I’ve come to realize, my least favorite season is Winter.  It’s nice around Christmas, but that’s all I can take. 
So, I’ve been submerged in lots of different projects lately.  Spring cleaning is actually something that’s fun for me.  Out with the old, in with the new, and by new I mean a fresh coat of paint, a DIY-ed marble tiled top coffee table, and bright handmade décor.  I’ve also just started building a patio on the rear side of the house. 
Anyways, as you may or may not know, Earth Day is April 22.  More than one billion people around the world will participate in the One Billion Acts Of Green campaign and express their appreciation for our great planet.  Attend a local Earth Day event to help Mobilize the Earth and demand protection & change. Together, we can make it happen.  

Not only will I attend an event, but i'll be baking up some earth day treats.  I found this recipe on Spabettie.  Who doesn't love peanut butter cups?  First, I thought I'd just make some round sugar cookies and ice them to look like Earth, but then I found a more creative recipe that seemed to be calling my name.  Then again, when aren't peanut butter cups begging me to eat them?  I've never made a peanut butter cup at home before, but it's never too late to start trying new things. 


 Let me just tell you, these turned out amazingly.  I only made a few of them and I didn't decorate them to look like Earth, but they tasted decadent all the same.  I just wanted to test out the recipe before I made them for my Earth Day party guests.  After trying these, I'm not so sure I want to buy store bought ever again!

Earth Day Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
makes 12-14 depending on wrapper size
1 bag chocolate chips (trader joes dairy free)

1 bag white chocolate chips (vegansweets)
1/2 cup peanut butter
food color (seelect is vegan + gluten free)

Melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave. Fill candy cups 1/3 full, coating the insides of the wrapper to the top. Cool in fridge until set. Spread a spoonful of peanut butter almost to the edge of the wrapper. Melt white chocolate, reserving 1/3 for final step. Pour white chocolate over peanut butter layer, smoothing and covering completely. Return to fridge to cool. Separate remaining white chocolate into two bowls, coloring one green and one blue. For the last layer, swirl greens and blues to make earth shapes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...