- 6 (3 oz.) Italian sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 (15 oz.) cans white beans (Great Northern or navy), rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 oz.) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Poke holes in sausages and put in a large nonstick skillet. Add 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook sausages, turning, until lightly browned and water has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and thyme.
- Put half of bean mixture into a slow cooker. Arrange sausages on top, followed by remaining beans. Cook on high for 4 hours. Check after 2 hours and add water if mixture looks dry.
- Remove sausages; slice thickly. Season beans with salt and pepper. Return sausage to stew. (Stew can be kept, frozen and tightly sealed, for up to 1 month.)